Become part of the solution to better prepare for and protect America from catastrophe. Join ProtectingAmerica.org!
See a list of coalition members
Hurricanes Katrina, Rita and Wilma are tragic reminders of how catastrophes threaten the lives, property and economic security of our nation. Catastrophe will strike again. Policymakers must act now to make sure America is better prepared.
The system in place to prepare for and recover from the economic impact of catastrophic events falls short of what we expect from our government and the private sector. At the same time we teach our children the importance of saving for a rainy day, our nation does the opposite: We pay for disaster recovery after the fact. Too many people and businesses are inadequately protected. Too many tax dollars are wasted. Insurance premiums go up, and some people have difficulty obtaining insurance at any price.
The ProtectingAmerica.org coalition is working to:
- Improve financial protection for consumers by establishing special catastrophe backstops at the state and national level to provide recovery and rebuilding funds in case of a major natural catastrophe;
- Support efforts to improve prevention and mitigation programs through stronger building codes;
- Augment homeowner education and consumer protections to make sure people are better prepared for catastrophes before they strike;
- Strengthen first responders by enhancing existing emergency response protocols;
- Improve relief, recovery and rebuilding by developing new processes to stage and deploy essential relief materials and to make sure there are adequate building materials, supplies and licensed contractors available in the aftermath of a catastrophe
As a member of ProtectingAmerica.org, you and your organization:
- Will be notified when important votes are scheduled on the state and federal level;
- Will be notified when relevant legislation moves through the legislative process;
- Will be featured on the ProtectingAmerica.org Web site;
- Will be invited to participate in national and state events supporting a comprehensive catastrophe program;
- Will be given the tools you need to communicate effectively with the news media and potential allies.
America needs your help! Join today.